5.23.2006

DAAK-GO-GI: Korean for chicken

Today I had KFC for the first time since the new year rolled around (That's 2006 for those of you who drank too much and passed out before the big, sparkly ball dropped on Times Square over four months ago). I think I actually got tired of it there for a while (Too much of a good thing maybe). Anyway, it was just as rocking as before and while I was downing some of the Colonel's famous popcorn chicken I stumbled across this little gem:




Yup. Apparently Korean people do more than just talk funny - they eat chicken sandwhiches! Believe me, I'm just as shocked as you. Strangely enough, I haven't the slightest clue as to what exactly they're piling on that guy's chicken. It could be some sort of pasta, or some village kid's liver, or...heck, I guess it could just be another piece of chicken (albiet a funny looking piece of chicken). Korean health standards aren't quite the same as American standards, but for some reason, I'm thinking what they're doing still isn't quite legal. I think what surprised me the most about this cooky foreign commercial was the price tag. Take a look.

$69?


Again.

$69?


One more time with a pixelated zoom for dramatic effect.

$69!?



$69!? Ain't nobody eatin' chicken in the Orient tonight folks! No wonder they used a king in their promotions. That is some pricey poultry. To me, this brings up only two possibilities:

1.) Some numbers got lost in translation (which would make my post on the evolution of math completely useless).

Or, the other, far more likely option (because I can't possibly be wrong)...

2.) That's one tastey bird sandwhich.

Wait a minute...bird sandwhich? In a region where bird flu is killing like...everybody!? THEY'RE TRYING TO POISON THE KING! $69. Go figure. I guess I've solved the riddle of the mystery topping then. It's gotta be gold smothered in bad tomato sauce. I think I'm right, and if I am, I'm on my way to Korea. That reminds me - I've been wanting to do an article on everybody's favorite North Korean dictator, Kim Jong Il, for a good while now. Look for it down the road.