3.27.2006

Time traveling at Sunoco

I was driving out in the country with my dad this past Saturday on the way to an auction out in Nowheresville, Kentiowaho (yes, I just made up a new state to keep things interesting). Because it was a good two hours from home and I had never been out that way before, about halfway there I had to stop off at a gas station and do something that no real man likes to do: ask for directions. To tell you the truth, I just kinda sat in the car while my dad humbly sauntered into the run-down Sunoco to talk to the scary tattooed man behind the counter. After watching him disappear into the shabby station, I turned up the radio, blaring classic Jimi Hendrix, and slumped back in my seat. It was a cold day, but a sunny one, and it was because of this sunshine that I was more or less forced to pull down the sun visor folded up on the ceiling of Dad's Pontiac. That's when it happened - my eyes suddenly darted through the windshield at the back of a blue monster that sat dormant in front of me. "Could it be?" I asked myself, rubbing my eyes in disbelief. "Is it even possible?" Then my eyes shifted a little, and I read the lettering across the creature's bumper: De Lorean. I mouthed the answers to my own questions: "Yes," and "apparently it is."

What sat in front of me was an 80s Delorean DMC-12 (couldn't tell you exactly what year it was because they all look pretty much the same, but since they were only produced from '81 to '83, I'd probably be safe in assuming it doesn't really matter). That's right - the time machine from Back to the Future. It was really freaky because I had just watched part of Back to the Future earlier in the morning when I was channel surfing. Anyway, it was weird enough seeing an actual Delorean on the road (considering they mostly exist only inside California and I'm on the other side of the States), but this baby was painted blue. I didn't even know that Deloreans could be anything other than shiny stainless steel, but after googling the topic, I found this site, dedicated entirely to painted Deloreans. Go figure. I guess you do learn something every day.


I watched in amazement as some twenty-something-year-old kid with more piercings than a 6th century tribal warrior calmly strolled over to the car, opened the gull-wing driver's side door, and rocketed away. My eyes followed closely as the strange automobile rumbled down the road and I swear to you, I half expected it to hit 88mph and vanish in a flash of white lightning. I'm sure it would have too, but country backroads only allow you to go so fast before you end up in a ditch or in the side of some old farmer's grain silo.


Anyway, I'm curious at this point - anyone else out there (outside of "The Golden State" that is) ever run into one of these things? If so, drop me an email and tell me your story.